Monday, June 3, 2013

Getting My Ducks in a Row

I've been in the process of reorganizing virtually everything I own since I moved late last year, and really, I think I may spend more time managing my stuff than I do actually working and/or playing with it!  Plus, there are so very many organizing goodies out there that just deciding between the options becomes another project in itself.  

To round up my fabrics, tools and such, I have them all in these cute pink and green bins that I found at IKEA:


They stacked up along the floor of the closet really nicely, plus they all have casters on the bottom so they are easy to move.

At one point, I was participating in so many needlepoint clubs that I had to have a list to keep up with them!  Originally, I had each kit in bags stored in plastic tubs, but the canvases and guides started getting wrinkled, so I took the kits apart and put all the stitch guides and canvases in a chest of drawers.  I put the work-in-progress canvases in there too: 


I took all the thread kits and (making sure that every kit was marked as to which club canvas it belongs to) put them in smaller bins that I moved over to the area where I keep my thread collection:


I keep the rest of the threads in this large chest of drawers, also an IKEA find.  I took this photo when I was organizing the drawer where all the solid-color silks are stored:


Most of the time though, I have to admit that there are almost as many threads sitting on top of the cabinet as there are inside:


One or two large projects plus a trip to the LNS is all it takes to create this mess!  It builds up quickly.  

Looking forward to getting it all squared away so I can get back to actually using it!  I also tackled the "great bead mess" a couple weeks ago.  You may remember the photo I posted last year of the "bead soup" that the movers had made of my bead collection.  That is all sorted out as well (took a couple weeks and two seasons of Downton Abbey to get through it all) and I'll post some pictures of that later on.
  
Thanks for looking, hope your week is off to a great start!


7 comments:

  1. Be still my heart!!!! Ada, I LOVE your organization, especially the pink and yellow bins. It makes me want to completely redo my stitching closet. Mine is organized but not nearly as pretty and fun as yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kelly! Having it organized is really the only important thing, trying to make it pretty too is just an extra. :)

      Delete
  2. You are making organizing look almost as much fun as stitching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Almost but not quite-- I'd still rather be stitching!

      Delete
  3. Always a challenge to control the mass! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Gets more challenging all the time too! Hopefully I will not be moving again anytime soon!

      Delete
  4. It is all so gorgeous. LOVE OBX. Been going there for 16 years. Headed back on July 25th. Cannot wait!

    ReplyDelete