Monday, August 6, 2012

Is It Halloween Yet?

Not such a funny question to be asking in August if you are a needlepointer!  Now is the time to be wrapping up any Halloween projects you happen to be stitching if you want to get them off to the finisher in time for this year, plus it's a great time to start a new Halloween project if you are starting to tire of summer and are anxious for the cooler fall weather to start.  I am definitely a summer gal, but I love Halloween and usually start my decorating in August.  That's when the stores start putting out the new decor and though it makes me sad that it's the first sign of the end of summer, I try to embrace it by buying anything new that catches my fancy, bringing it home and immediately putting it out on display.

I'm also getting started on this cool cat:



He is not exactly new, this is a canvas from my Vintage Halloween Candy Pail series that Cynthia Thomas did stitch guides for a couple years back.  I loved the stitches and the finishing so much that I have been working on stitching a set for myself to keep and display.  I've managed to make it to the halfway point now with the cat, here are the others that I have completed-- the Jack O Lantern:



The Owl:


The Spooky Skull:


The fantastic finishing on these is by West Coast Needlepoint Finishing.  I sent Sue ribbons and beads from my own collection (although I didn't need to, she has lots of terrific trims of her own!) and she added them to the cute wired pail handle.  These are just so much fun to stitch and I love them in my Halloween display.  I'm always a little tempted to carry them around as a handbag in October, since they are quite sturdy and have a lot of space inside!  

As long as we are talking Halloween, I have to show you my friend Judy G.'s newest Hoot Hoot owl finish.  I love seeing what Judy does with these because she is stitching from her stash and adding her own touches, each one is a little surprise for me.  I love how Spooky Owl has turned out, and I love the little spider charm too!

Hope you have enjoyed this spooky start to the week, until next time, Happy Stitching!



4 comments:

  1. These are all so adorable!! I just love them all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute. I am a Fall girl myself and love seeing the Halloween stuff come out. Of course, Fall is only three days here in Austin, TX, but I take what I can get. Love the spooky owl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Stephanie! Someone told me the seasons in the southern half of Texas are as follows: Almost Summer, Summer, Still Summer and Christmas! :)

    ReplyDelete